Being safe and courteous will help make Streets Alive! Parks Alive! a great experience for everyone.
- Be properly equipped - wear helmets, and bright or reflective clothing.
- Be alert - be aware and respect the people around you.
- Be courteous - ride with the flow and be patient with people moving at slower speeds.
Cyclists, Skaters & Boarders:
- Wear helmets. It's the law for bikers under the age of 18 in California (Vehicle Code Div. 11 Chap. 1 Art. 4 Section 21212).
- Pedestrians always have the right of way - bikers, skaters and boarders must yield to pedestrians.
- Keep on the right, pass on the left.
- Pass safely: look and signal before changing lanes - use a bell, or say "on your left."
- Be courteous of children and older adults whether they are on bike or foot - ride slowly and carefully when they are present.
- Always ride in the direction of traffic.
- Obey posted traffic signs and regulations.
- Stay off sidewalks.
- Always walk your bike or skateboard on narrow paths or overpass ramps along the route.
- Cyclists should be mindful to ride in a straight line, and please, no sudden turns.
Walkers & Joggers:
- Be aware of cyclists.
- Pedestrians should stay to the right side of the road.
- Don't suddenly dart out in the path of a cyclist.
- Contact a city directly to learn whether four-legged friends are welcome.
- If your city is allowing dogs, keep dogs on a short leash at all times, and please clean up after your pet. Many communities have laws that govern pet waste cleanup.
- Ride with the flow of traffic.
- Slower traffic has the right of way.
- Children under 18 are required to wear helmets (CA Vehicle Code Div. 11 Chap. 1 Art. 4 Section 21212).
- Be aware and respectful of others.
- If you stop for a short pause (on bike or walking), please move onto a curb or sidewalk, out of traffic flow.
- Be respectful of private property.
- Pay attention to existing road hazards, such as driveway entrances, storm water grates, and puddles.
- Be aware that some cars may be on the road, and yield to cars that are permitted to drive on the route.
- Properly throw trash away in trash and recycling containers along the route.
- Participants are encouraged to not wear headphones or use cell phones while on wheels of any kind at Streets Alive.
- Be safe and have fun!
For more information, contact us at